Get to know Marcel
Marcel assists shipowners, shipoperators and managers, P&I Clubs, H&M and FD&D underwriters, as well as port companies such as tug companies, freight forwarders, ships agents stevedores, container lease companies, bunker suppliers and their underwriters . His practice includes assisting companies in the offshore business. His work includes arrest work, personal injury claims, shipbuilding contracts and disputes, collision, salvage, and claims in general.
Marcel was admitted to the Rotterdam bar in 1992. In 2002 he founded Jumelet Verhagen Advocaten, together with Ton Jumelet.
- Marcel is frequently involved in the investigation and litigation of maritime incidents such as collisions and salvage cases, and personal injury cases.
- He is experienced in negotiating and drafting commercial contracts including BIMCO form contracts.
- Marcel handles disputes arising from contracts, including charter parties or other contracts of carriage.
- Debt recovery and recovery in general form part of Marcel’s work. He is frequently involved in arrest cases and has expert knowledge on enforced sales of ships.
- For some of his clients, Marcel acts as the abat-voix of the boardroom.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Netherlands Association for Maritime and Transport Law
- Association of Dutch Transport Lawyers
- Member of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers
- Associated member of the Association of Average Adjusters
- Associated member of IVR (International Rhine Treaty)
- Board member of the Dutch Maritime Arbitration Association TAMARA (Transport And Maritime Arbitration Rotterdam Amsterdam)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam LLM (Law, 1991)