Get to know Ton
Ton deals with FDD, P&I and H&M matters. He frequently acts for the P&I Clubs of the International Group, underwriters, Dutch and foreign ship and yacht owners, charterers, shipbrokers and yards (both deep sea and inland). His work includes charter disputes, collision cases, cargo claims, ship arrest, auction of vessels and cargo, contract review.
Ton regularly acts as arbitrator both in statutory arbitrations and TAMARA (Transport and Maritime Arbitration Rotterdam-Amsterdam) arbitrations.
Before founding Jumelet Verhagen Advocaten, together with Marcel Verhagen in 2002, he worked as an in house lawyer for Dutch P&I Services for more than 8 years. In 1999 he was admitted to the Rotterdam Bar as legal counsel for a defence club.
- Ton is a litigator in maritime (inland carriage) cases. Ton often assists in matters with a complex technical background (his father was a Super Intendent Engineer). These may vary from stowage and lashing issues, heavy lift and reefer issues, engine damages (including MOA and Yard disputes), paint failures, fire, collision and salvage cases.
- Following his roots as defence lawyer, Ton has a lot of experience with charter parties and B/L disputes (both Dutch and English law) and the drafting and negotiating (BIMCO) charters, also in the Offshore industry.
- Ton regularly gives legal advice to banks and also to lawyers in foreign proceedings. The drafting/upgrading General Conditions and the drafting of logistic contracts, pool agreements and agency agreements form part of Ton’s regular scope of services.
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Netherlands' Association for Maritime and Transport Law
- Association of Dutch Transport Lawyers
Publications & Lectures
Ton has published in ETL and local law magazines in respect of the Hague-Visby, Hamburg and Rotterdam Rules.
Erasmus University Rotterdam LLM (Law, 1990)